You can’t argue with a fly that looks like nothing, but looks like a lot of things at the same time.
Whether fish see Griffiths Gnat as a midge cluster or just a buggy looking something, it’s a great fly.
Once you master Griffiths Gnat, another great beginner fly pattern to try is the Zebra Midge Emerger.
- Hook: size 16-24 dry fly; TMC 100
- Thread: UTC 70 or 8/0 uni-thread
- Body: peacock herl
- Hackle: Grizzly saddle hackle
- Set up your fly tying vise
- Fix the hook in the vise's jaw
- Push play on the video tutorial