I’ve got a handful of Chironomid staples in my box and the Ice Cream Cone is one of them. You can play around with the color combinations but I’ve had by far the most luck with a black body, red rib and white bead.
Ice Cream Cone
There are few chironomid patterns that are easier to tie than the Ice Cream Cone Chironomid. The pattern only requires a handful of materials and can be tied in a variety of color combinations to suit the target species.
- Hook: size 8-16 3x long nymph; Daicchi 720, TMC 5263
- Bead: white brass bead
- Thread: Red danville waxed and and black UTC 140
- Rib: red copper wire
- Set up your fly tying vise
- Fix the hook in the vise's jaw
- Push play on the video tutorial