The Thin Mint is the younger, more attractive sibling of the Wooly Bugger.
I have had incredible days of fishing with this fly; sometimes using it as the point fly of a double nymph rig and sometimes as a streamer. This particular color combination is my favorite but I have seen multiple variations of this fly that work very well. This is also a fantastic stillwater pattern.
- Hook: size 8-14 streamer 2-3x long; TMC 1750
- Bead: tungsten (size of bead is dependent on size of fly)
- Thread: 6/0 Uni or UTC 140
- Tail: marabou (olive, brown and black) with strands of flashabou
- Body: peacock herl or peacock chenille
- Rib: copper wire
- Hackle: brown rooster hackle
- Set up your fly tying vise
- Fix the hook in the vise's jaw
- Push play on the video tutorial