I love this fly. Seriously. And I still will 30 years from now as long as there’s still fish in the waters.
The Wooly Bugger can represent such a wide variety of different dietary options for a fish and is one of the easiest flies to tie. I have an entire fly box dedicated to Wooly Buggers; literally every size, shape, profile and color combination I could think of. This popular streamer pattern continues to be innovated and modified, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the classic.
- Hook: size 2-14 3-4x long streamer; TMC 5262
- Thread: 6/0 Uni or UTC 140 denier
- Tail: marabou plume with 2-3 strands of flashabou
- Body: chenille (color of choice)
- Hackle: saddle hackle (tapered)
- Rib: small or medium wire
- Set up your fly tying vise
- Fix the hook in the vise's jaw
- Push play on the video tutorial