The X-Caddis fly is a slight modification from the standard elk hair caddis, and nearly just as simple to tie.
There is no hackle involved in this fly, which simplifies the process. The dubbing on this fly is an important component if you intend to fish this fly on the surface. However, because the design of the fly can also represent an emerging caddis, it’s not always a bad idea to intentionally sink this fly and fish it as a subsurface fly.
- Hook: size 14-20 dry fly; Daicchi 1180, TMC 100
- Thread: 8/0 Uni or UTC 70 denier
- Tail: crystal Flash, Z-lon, or antron
- Body: frog-hair dubbing (color of choice)
- Wing: yearling elk hair
- Set up your fly tying vise
- Fix the hook in the vise's jaw
- Push play on the video tutorial