The Yellow Sally is a pattern used to imitate the Little Yellow Sally stonefly. These stoneflies are typically on the smaller side (size 12-16) and can often be identified with a red spot near the tail.
I always seem to be caught off guard when these little guys start to hatch but I try to never be caught without a handful of these easy-to-tie patterns in my fly box during the summer months.
- Hook: size 12-16 dry fly; TMC 100
- Thread: 8/0 uni-thread or UTC 70 denier
- Abdomen: red thread butt with olive dubbing
- Wing: elk hair
- Hackle: light brown hackle
- Set up your fly tying vise
- Fix the hook in the vise's jaw
- Push play on the video tutorial