Other than its microscopic size, this Zebra Midge Emerger fly is about as simple of a fly to tie as they come and a great beginner fly pattern.
The hook size alone provides about the right thickness of a real-life midge, so be careful not to add too much to this fly that will make it unnaturally bulky. A little fly like this will also struggle to make its way down the flowing water column so it can be tied with a small tungsten bead or fish it as a trailing fly behind a heavier weighted fly. Always give yourself the best chance of being where the fish are.
Zebra Midge Emerger
- Hook: size 18-24; Dai-Riki 125, Daicchi 1120
- Thread: 8/0 Uni or 70 UTC
- Wingcase: antron yarn
- Thorax: peacock herl
- Rib: extra small copper wire
- Set up your fly tying vise
- Fix the hook in the vise's jaw
- Push play on the video tutorial